You Dig?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

South Central Farm on the radio

I heard on the radio today that the South Central farmers were officially kicked off yesterday with LAPD there to arrest squatters and tree sitters. The human spirit stayed alive until the end, but the green life growing out of that 14 acres of land were murdered with bulldozers. Sorry so dramatic. But I feel strong emotion.

I feel sadness that the produce, fresh oxygen, and community life of the farm will be no more. That the big old nepales I saw as I walked along 41st (or was it Alameda?) that were standing sturdily despite some scars or few points of rotting will be there no more.

I feel anguish and confusion. My heart and my head are torn. After going there--which involved seeing the plants, eating the farmers' pupusas and melon horchata, hearing THEIR side of the story--I want nothing but a long long life for that garden. That's why I went to the protest at city hall and screamed my heart out and cheered for those wearing vegetables and doing skits in the street. That's why I asked everyone I knew to sign a letter to the mayor. That's why I prayed and kept updated. But. But, I know there is another side to the story and I don't know what is "right." Maybe the land was just loaned to the farmers and there was not "shady" business deals as they claim. I don't know. My heart and my head are torn.

I feel that feeling I feel when it seems things aren't as they should be. I don't know if there is an appropriate emotion to call it. It's a mix of regret and sadness and anger and helplessness and longing and hope.

I was glad it was mentioned on this morning talk show, but did it have to be only after it was too late to help? And did they have to make jokes about Darryl Hannah in the tree? And did they have to make a point about how it really wasn't their land? I just felt like it denigrated the beauty of the farm and all that it stands for and all that it has meant to the people there. So much of people's lives and energies have been put into saving this farm.

Just a thirty second blurb, if that. Right after it was said, the newsperson went right on to the next news stories. I know that's how it usually goes, but it doesn't do the situation justice. It doesn't do any situation justice, especially those dealing with individuals. Are there any that don't? Feels cold. And heartless. If we really wanted people to remember the news and care about it, maybe we'd include more personal stories, more viewpoints.

I dunno. Just thoughts. Just how I feel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home